Friday, August 04, 2006

C o r c o v a d o

One of my favorite bossanova song is Corcovado, written by Antônio Carlos Jobim.

He was a Brazilian composer, arranger, singer, pianist/guitarist (yes.. WOW!) and one of the major forces behind the creation of bossanova and of course its following global popularity.

The English version is titled ‘Quiet Night and Quiet Stars’, and has been sung by many artists until this day. From Astrud Gilberto, Olivia, Lisa Wahlandt to Everything but The Girl.

The lyrics are…

Quiet nights and quiet stars
Quiet chords from my guitar
Floating on the silence that surrounds us

Quiet songs and quiet dreams
Quiet walks by quiet streams
And the window that looks out on corcovado oh how lovely

This is where to be
Here with you so close to me
Till the final flicker of life's ember

I who was lost and lonely
Believing life was only a bitter tragic joke
Have found with you the meaning of existence oh, my love

This is where to be
Here with you so close to me
Till the final flicker of life's ember

I who was lost and lonely
Believing life was a only a tragic joke
Have found with you the meaning of existence oh, my love


What is a Corcovado anyway?
Corcovado (meaning “hunchback” in Portuguese), is a mountain in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

(….uh huh…?)

It is known worldwide for the 38-meter statue of Jesus, entitled “Christ the Redeemer”.





Ohhhhhh… Nowwww you know… :)


You see, when you know what Corcovado is

it gives a deeper meaning to the song..


Imagining You…

standing in the middle of hilarity… but It’s not yours.
The voices around you turn into perplexing silence
Your eyes stare closely to the granite mountain, the Corcovado.




It’s just you and this feeling..
When your mind tries hard to search the tranquility,
but your heart beats faster and faster…


Until one second, you simply can’t breathe
because of the excitement
..also the sorrow.


You don’t know what to do
You just wait..


Waiting..
In this quiet moment

Waiting for the exact person… come to you and say….





“Hey you..”

2 Comments:

Blogger Sam said...

I LOVE the lyrics too. great sense of taste, and nice to read what has been on your mind. I heared the song in the lounge/trendy version. It was on a tape I listened during my travels a summer quite some years ago. Thanks for me of it.

1:11 PM  
Blogger lydiette said...

to Sam Warnaars

Oh! it’s so nice to meet someone who shares the same thoughts about this song. :)
*hail bossanova lovers!

I got 7 versions of the song in my iPod…


And I’m listening to it right now :D

6:48 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home